Sunday, January 26, 2014

{clean} Mexican Rice


Pork Carnitas from Carmelita's Kitchen (Laguna Beach)

I love Mexican food. It wasn't until I went this past summer to California that I had amazing Mexican food. I can't wait to go back to this little place in Laguna Beach named Carmelita's Kitchen. It was the best food I have. Ever. And they had the most creative cocktail concoctions as well. Strawberry Jalapeno Margaritas. Yes, please.



Ok, I will get to the point. I buy organic brown rice in bulk at Costco. 12 lbs for less than $15 (I need to double check the price, but it's close). Considering organic rice at the grocery store is $5 or more for a small bag, this is a great cost savings. Plus, I don't have to remember to buy rice that often. Winning!



This recipe is simple and we all enjoyed it (except the picky 5 year old). It was made out of what I had on hand which made it super convenient. If you don't have a rice cooker I recommend getting one. It takes practice at first, but then you will not want to make rice without it. 

{clean} Mexican Rice

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups organic brown rice
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 Tbps Nellie and Joe's Famous Key Lime Juice (I get at Kroger)
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 4 garlic cloves (minced)
  • 4 ounces of tomato paste
Directions:

 Add all ingredients to rice cooker. Stir. And turn on rice cooker. 

NOTE: All rice cookers are different so you will have to practice knowing the ratio of water:rice. This is a great rice recipe for burritos, tacos, soups, etc. I love Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Juice and use it often. 

And the dessert at Carmelita's Kitchen was amazing too! Man, I need to go back to California just for this restaurant alone. We went twice in one week!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment