Sunday, July 21, 2013

{clean} snow cone

Snow cones used to be such a symbol for summer for our family. We would look forward to the snow cone hut opening up so we could begin sucking down the artificial dyes and heavy syrups. Those days are gone. 

It's not that my kids don't see one and want one from time to time. Kids will be kids. These companies added the dyes in there for a reason, to appeal to the average customer! 

I decided last year to "give in" and let both of my kids have a big snow cone with artificial dyes before school started (see, I'm not completely hardcore). That little trip to the snow cone hut ended with two kids with sick bellies that couldn't finish their snow cone.  I was actually happy I decided to let them try one after we had been eating clean for so long.  

Snow cones are so fun on a hot summer day, but not when it makes you sick and creates a sugar crash down the road. 

I decided to create 3 flavors that were made with all natural ingredients and NO artificial dyes. Here's the result:



Rockin' Raspberry
  • 2 cups Frozen organic raspberries (thawed), then juiced
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 scoop Barlean's Strawberry Kiwi Greens
  • 1 tiny scoop of all natural organic stevia (not Truvia or such)
Limalicious (my daughter named this one)
  • 2 limes (skin removed), juiced
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 heaping handful of organic spinach, juiced
  • 1-2 tiny scoops of all natural organic stevia
Wacky Wildberry
  • 1 cup Frozen wildberries (thawed), then juiced
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 Tbps organic Agave Nectar
  • 1 tiny scoop of all natural organic stevia
NOTES:  I used the Vitamix to make the "snow". It's best if you use your fridge and put in a small amount of chopped ice at a time (maybe a cup worth). Using the tamper as it chops because don't have much time before it all becomes stuck in the blades. I made each snow cone at a time. 

For the wildberry, I actually did it the method you would have to if you do not have a juicer. I blended the water, wildberries, agave, and stevia together then strained it through my milk bag that I used for homemade nut milks. I will use the juicer next time because I find it easiest.

These are rough measurements but give you a great starting point to make your own. Keep in mind you can use fresh fruits, however, they aren't always best because frozen ones are usually picked at the peak of season and have the most flavor and color concentration! Next time I'll leave leave out the agave nectar. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment