Wednesday, February 27, 2013

{clean} Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

I decided to make pumpkin chocolate chip muffins when a recipe came across my Facebook news feed that intrigued me.  Of course I thought it would be as simple as to copy the recipe, but that wasn't the case.  I ended up changing it quite a bit to fit my lifestyle and pack in more nutrition. I'm always looking for ways to do just that!

These are rather dense muffins.  They are packed full of nutrients. There is NO added processed sugar. Pitted dates, honey and apple puree are used to sweeten the muffins. These muffins are a fantastic source of protein and fiber. 

I think it's awesome my 4 year old son helped me make these muffins. He didn't flinch once when we added all these {unique} ingredients. He even helped me count out the dates and stir in the "black stuff" (chia seeds). He's so proud of himself that he can help mommy now!


I will say, if you are still addicted to processed sugar these 
may not be for you...yet! 


Or, maybe that picture changed your mind...

{clean} Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups oat flour
  • 1/2 cup ground golden flaxseed
  • 3 Tbps chia seeds (optional)
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 15 oz. can {all natural} pumpkin 
  • 1/4 cup Organic Extra Virgin Coconut oil (I recommend, Barlean's), liquefied
  • 1 cup {all natural/no sugar added} apple sauce or homemade puree
  • 12 pitted dates
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 oz dark chocolate chips (70% or greater is best) or you can use Dairy Free Enjoy Life mini chips.

Directions:

1) Add all dry ingredients to a bowl and stir. Flour, flax, chia seeds, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and salt.
2) In a high speed blender add coconut oil, dates, apple sauce, vanilla and pumpkin and blended until smooth.
3) Add eggs. Blend again on low until incorporated.
4) Add wet to dry and mix well. Fold in chocolate chips.
5) Spray or coat muffin pan with EVOO or coconut oil.  Scoop equal amounts into muffin tins.
6) Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Let cool.

NOTES:  I made my oat flour out of rolled oats in the Vitamix. You could try a different flour of your choosing to fit your needs. Instead of using apple sauce, I cored a Gala apple and pulverized it in the Vitamix (leaving the skin on). It made approx. 1 cup. Also, I chop my dark chocolate chips to make it seem like more (they are quite large).

No comments:

Post a Comment