Thursday, July 19, 2012

{clean} zucchini bread

I don't think I have EVER made zucchini bread.  I guess maybe because I was didn't have zucchini to use up from my garden, until now! I cleaned up a sugar loaded zucchini bread recipe and came up with this delicious {clean} recipe. 

Since I took out so much of the sugar of a traditional recipe my family can enjoy it for breakfast or snack without the guilt (or sugar crash)! My whole family loves this recipe! Score!!!...another way to get my kids to eat their vegetables. My 7 year old daughter even helped with the recipe. After the first batch she suggested I add more cinnamon and I did! We love cinnamon. It turned out fantastic!


{clean}zucchini bread

Ingredients:

  • 3 1/4 cups whole white wheat flour (I use Bronze Chief most times) 
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup organic cane sugar (try coconut sugar!)
  • 1/4 tsp organic stevia powder
  • 1/2 cup Barlean's Organic Coconut Oil
  • 1/2 cup {all natural} unsweetened applesauce
  • 3 eggs (organic is best)
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 1/2 cups finely grated zucchini
  • 1 tsp juice of a lemon
  • 1tsp {all natural} vanilla extract
Directions:
1) Combine all dry ingredients into bowl and stir.
2) Add all other ingredients and mix with hand mixer
3) Spray 2 loaf pans with olive oil and divide mixture into pans equally.
4) Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until testing comes out clean.

NOTE: When using the Barlean's Coconut Oil I heat it in the microwave for a few seconds to turn it into a liquid. Then I usually add it last to the mix, making sure it gets evenly distributed in the mixture.  

You could add more cane sugar or stevia if you want it sweeter. It all depends on what type of bread you want and how often you want to eat it.

Next up I will try this recipe with egg whites only, as I don't think my stomach tolerates yolks of eggs very well. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment