Saturday, June 23, 2012

{clean} Pumpkin Pie

My daughter loves pumpkin pie. She had asked me to make her one since we had leftover canned pumpkin from fall in the pantry (there is nothing worse than running out of canned pumpkin in October! HA)  For this recipe I used a whole wheat crust from Whole Foods that was ready to fill.




This recipe is cleaned up greatly from the traditional pumpkin pie that adds inches to the waistline each Thanksgiving season. It was a hit with the mini me so it's a keeper in my book! Now, the image below...well I could have done better. 

{clean} Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients:
  • 1 can {all natural} pumpkin (15 oz is what I used)
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/8 tsp {all natural} stevia (or 1/4 c more of honey)
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp {all natural} vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk, or organic fat free milk. (I used coconut milk)
  • 1 {clean} pie crust 

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2) Combine all ingredients in a bowl with a hand held mixer.
3) Pour into pie crust.
4) Bake for 15 minutes at 425.
5) Reduce heat to 350 and bake an additional 45 minutes.


NOTE: Next time I make this I plan to make my own crust. There just wasn't time this go around. Here's one I've made before:  Extra Easy Whole Grain Crust  
I plan to try an Almond crust next, but I don't like to recommend a recipe unless I have made it myself first.







No comments:

Post a Comment