Thursday, March 1, 2012

Verde Pulled Pork Tacos


Here's a simple crock pot meal for you Mexican food lovers out there! This one is super simple to make and will fill your house with the smell of awesomeness! 

Many of my recipes are made mild so my kids will at least attempt to like them.  This was a win for my daughter but, I have a long way to go to win my 3 year old with just about anything with true flavor. His taste buds are currently set to BLAND!

Verde Pulled Pork Tacos


Ingredients:
  • pork tenderloin {lean}
  • 1 jar {all natural} verde salsa
  • 1 sweet onion, sliced
  • 4-8 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 Tbps cumin
  • guacamole 
  • lettuce
  • tomatoes, diced
  • tortillas
Directions:

1) Add all ingredients to a crock pot/slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours. Or on high for approximately 5 hours or until the meat is tender.
2) Shredded pork with fork.
3) Take tortilla and add guacamole, pork, lettuce, and tomatoes, fold & gobble up!

NOTE:  I LOVE prepackaged guacamole. It saves me a lot of time! My favorite is the Trader Joe's brand. For those you that don't have a TJ near you try the Wholly Guacamole brand. By all means make your own if you have the time. 

I used San Antonio Farms Verde Salsa from Costco for this recipe. Make sure you READ LABELS because not all salsa is {clean}.

I also tried the refrigerated tortillas from Costco, but I can't remember the brand. They were 140 calories per tortilla which is rather high but they were WORTH IT! They come uncooked and you cook them for about 60 seconds in a skillet. YUM!  Since I limit my bread intake most days I don't mind splurging for a good tasting white tortilla for this recipe. I will have to update on the ingredients later since I am blogging about this after the fact. But there were less than 4 ingredients in them. This would be where portion control is key!

If you want this recipe spicy I suggest adding fresh jalapenos, red pepper flakes. or chipotle chili pepper powder to give it a "kick". We always have {all natural} pepper sauce on hand as well. Currently, we have the Chili Pepper sauce from TJ, but I LOVE the Tabasco's chipotle sauce. 








No comments:

Post a Comment