Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Watermelon "Granita"

My kids love cold treats! They used to love snow cones and shaved ices. Now I find when I give in and buy them one they can never finish them because of all the sugary syrups that are poured on top of them.  I have witnesses many times since starting the {eat clean} journey that they have turned down processed sugary treats because they know they will feel ill afterwards! YAY! That makes a mama proud!

This recipe is adapted from Weelicous.com using honey instead of sugar.  I wasn't sure what to think about adding Cinnamon to Watermelon but I am happy to report it tastes great! My kids love it, it's healthy, and fun to eat.

Since the recipe called for checking on it(scraping the sides) every hour in the freezer, I found it easier to freeze the recipe overnight in small freezer containers(with lids) and then microwaving them individually for 30 seconds or so to thaw a bit. After microwaved, breaking it up with a fork to create the snow-cone texture.  



Watermelon Granita (Serves 6-8)
5 Cups Watermelon Chunks
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/3 Cup Sugar (I used 1/4 cup of honey)

1. Place all of the ingredients in a blender and puree.
2. Place the puree in an 8×8 inch Pyrex dish and put in the freezer for 1 hour.
3. Remove from the freezer and scrape with a fork to break up pieces.
4. Place back into freezer for 1 hour.
5. Remove from the freezer and scrape with a fork to break up pieces.
6. Repeat this process one or two more times over several hours until the
granita is similar in consistency to shaved ice.
7. Serve (cover the dish with tin foil to keep the rest in the freezer).


KID APPROVED??? Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment