Monday, August 22, 2011

Chicken Piccata with Israeli Couscous

I have fond memories of eating Chicken Piccata. It was one of the menu items served at my wedding rehearsal dinner over a decade ago. I just love the taste of capers and lemon together. 

I'm always up for tasting new and interesting things and last week was no different. I had the opportunity to taste a new(to me at least) type of couscous. Israeli Couscous. It was different from the type I have made in the past (Moroccan) because the grain was much larger (and I liked it better).  Israeli couscous are little balls of pasta that resemble the size of a peppercorn. I know it will be one of my new obsessions when it comes to pastas.


Chicken Piccata with Israeli Couscous

Ingredients:

  • 3 Tbps {organic} no salt added butter (I use Horizon brand)
  • 3 Tbps Olive Oil
  • 2-3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
  • 1/3 c fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 c capers (drained)
  • 1 c {low sodium} chicken stock
  • 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
  • white whole wheat unbleached flour
  • Israeli Couscous (approx 2 cups or 11 oz)
  • 3 {organic} chicken breasts, flattened with a meat mallet
  • sea salt (to taste)
  • pepper (to taste)
1) Heat butter and olive oil in large skillet over medium/high heat. (also, start a pot of water to boil for couscous)
2) Place flour in a shallow dish and dredge chicken breast in flour, evenly coating each breast.
3) After chicken is dredged in flour, add to hot skillet. Cook approximately 3 minutes each side or until browned.
4) Add couscous to boiling water (see package for details) and reduce to a simmer for 8-10 minutes. 
5) Remove chicken from pan and add garlic, lemon juice, chicken stock, capers, and sliced lemon to the pan. Stir and scrape bottom of skillet to loosen any brown bits. Cook for approx 2-3 minutes.
6)Add chicken back to pan, reduce heat and cover.
7) After couscous is completed cooking, add it all to the skillet and stir. Salt and Pepper to taste.
8) Serve.


NOTE: This recipe serves 2-3 people.  Next time I make this dish I WILL be doubling it. I loved it! It was great the next day as leftovers too. You can find Israeli Couscous at Kroger near the boxed rices. 


No comments:

Post a Comment