Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Turkey Wontons with Ginger-Soy Dipping Sauce

I had no idea making my own wontons would be so simple. These are baked, instead of fried, which cuts down on the fat and calories of the recipe. Also, I used the super lean turkey breast. My fave! These would make a fantastic appetizer to bring to a party if you are wanting to bring something healthy. 

Turkey Wontons w/ Ginger-Soy Sauce
Ingredients
  • 1.25 lbs {extra lean} turkey breast
  • 1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
  • 1 Tbsp {low sodium} soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp  sherry
  • 2 Tbps water
  • 1 Tbps sesame oil
  • 1 Tbps honey
  • 2-3 garlic cloves (minced)
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger 
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • 2 shallots (diced)
  • 3 Tbsp {low sodium} chicken stock
  • 1 package of {all natural} wonton wrappers
1)  Add turkey, 3 Tbps chicken stock, carrots, and shallots to pan and cook until turkey is no longer pink. (make sure to chop the turkey into small pieces as it cooks)
2) Mix hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sherry, water, oil, honey, garlic, and ginger in a bowl.
3) Turn off heat and pour sauce over turkey and allow to sit for a few minutes. This is your mixture.
4) Scoop a small amount of mixture onto wonton wrapper, brush edges with water, fold and seal edges.
5) Lightly spray an oven-safe pan with oil and place potstickers on pan.
6)  Bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes.


NOTE:  I think next time I make this I will run the turkey mixture thru the processor to make a smooth texture.  Also, I made 24 wontons this time around and had about half of the mixture left. I easily could have made all 48 that came in the package. I used Nasoya wonton wrappers  found at my Kroger in the Organic section.


Ginger-Soy Dipping Sauce


Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbps water
  • 2 Tbps {low sodium} soy sauce
  • 2 Tbps rice vinegar
  • 2 Tbps honey
  • 1/4 tps ground ginger
1) Mix all ingredients in a bowl and serve.  

NOTE: Feel free to add fresh garlic to this as well, I ran out! Or even a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes for heat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment