Wednesday, March 23, 2011

{clean} KIDS

If there's one thing I am passionate about, it's getting healthy for my kids. But, equally important is teaching them the importance of overall good health. They are my world and I want to be around for decades to enjoy them to the fullest!  I wish I would have gotten on this {eating clean} bandwagon years ago.  

I have seen both of my parents struggle with their weight and weight related health issues.  In my opinion, taking care of our own bodies is one gift we can give those we love most. And more importantly, educating future generations to make healthy choices that will impact their health in decades to come.

I recently checked out The Eat Clean Diet: Expanded Version from our public library and there was a whole chapter called EAT-CLEAN KIDS and I felt compelled to blog about it.  I can't stress enough the importance of teaching our children about what is going into their bodies at an early age and how it will impact their future.  I wish I had been educated more when I was young about what really goes into the foods I am eating.  


FACT: For the first time in history children may not live the long, healthy lives their parents did, thanks to poor nutritional habits.  

I can assure you that once your child has lived the {eat clean} lifestyle for awhile they will be able to taste the difference between clean and dirty foods and often times choosing the clean alternatives.  I'm not saying that you can't give your kids dirty foods ever again, but I just think it's important that they realize there is a difference.  

And just to educate some of you adults out there that aren't in the habit of reading labels or digging deep into those favorites treats your are serving up, here's some insight.

TWINKIE

Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour [Flour, Reduced Iron, B Vitamins (Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Folic Acid)], Corn Syrup, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable and/or Animal Shortening (Soybean, Cottonseed and/or Canola Oil, Beef Fat), Whole Eggs, Dextrose. Contains 2% or Less of: Modified Corn Starch, Glucose, Leavenings (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Monocalcium Phosphate), Sweet Dairy Whey, Soy Protein Isolate, Calcium and Sodium Caseinate, Salt, Mono and Diglycerides, Polysorbate 60, Soy Lecithin, Soy Flour, Cornstarch, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Sorbic Acid (to Retain Freshness), Yellow 5, Red 40.

And if Twinkies are one of your guilty pleasures then you might want to read this: 
Gulp! Take a gander at a Twinkie's 37 or so ingredients


FRUIT SNACKS
Corn SyrupSugarFruit Juice From ConcentratePear(s) JuiceApple(s) Juice,GelatinSorbitolMalic AcidFlavoring NaturalFlavor(s) ArtificialSodium Citrate,Ascorbic AcidMineral OilCorn Oil,Tocopherol AcetateCarnauba WaxVitamin A (Retinol Palmitate)Red 40Blue 1Yellow 6Yellow 5

If fruit snacks are on your grocery list often here is an article to educate you further: 

Whats-So-Bad-About-Gummy-Fruit-Snacks?



PEANUT BUTTER CRACKERS

Enriched Flour , (Wheat Flour , Niacin , Reduced Iron , Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1) , Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) , Folic Acid) , Peanut Butter , Sugar , High Fructose Corn Syrup, Dextrose, Contains 2% or Less of: Salt, Malted Barley Flour, Leavening, (Baking Soda, Monocalcium Phosphate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate), Soy Lecithin , Cornstarch , Yellow #6, Cheddar Cheese, (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt , Enzymes), Whey, Buttermilk, Disodium Phosphate, Red Pepper


For more information on what snacks rank the worst, read Top 10 Most Unhealthy Snacks for Kids


Often times it's hard enough to get ourselves eating healthy that we don't put much emphasis on the kids doing the same.  I challenge you all to take a look at what snacks your kids (or yourself) are consuming.  Stay tuned for {clean} snack ideas.





No comments:

Post a Comment