Sunday, February 13, 2011

Strawberry Soy Ice Cream

My kids love dessert and are always asking(sometimes, begging!) for a special treat at the end of the day or after a meal.  

I got a little frustrated at the grocery store the other day when searching for a {clean} ice cream treat to serve the kiddos (and us).  I mean, WOW, have you ever taken the time to read what is in some of them??? After WAY too much time spent looking, I think I left the store with a 6 dollar half gallon of {all natural} ice cream.

This recipe came about by chance and was a grand slam with the kids right away.  The best part is...it's clean, healthy, low fat, AND cholesterol free. That's good for little ole me that is trying to lower my cholesterol. 

Strawberry Soy Ice Cream

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups of light vanilla soy milk (I am a big fan of SILK)
  • 8 oz of ripe or frozen and thawed strawberries (i used half of 16oz bag of frozen)
  • 1/3 c honey
  • 1 tsp lemon juice (approx)


1) Add all ingredients to blender.
2) Process mixture in a blender until smooth or only small pieces of fruit remain.
3) Pour into small plastic serving dishes and freeze for approx 2-3 hours.

NOTE:  I use small plastic container with lids and pour individual servings.  I have found that it's best to just freeze for a couple of hours or remember to let it thaw about 30 minutes if it's been in the freezer overnight.
UPDATE 2012: I now use only Coconut or Almond milk.

KID APPROVED??? heck yes!




No comments:

Post a Comment