Tuesday, January 18, 2011

{SECRET} SPAGHETTI SAUCE

My family loves spaghetti! Who doesn't? After starting the {eat clean} journey, it was out with the jarred sauce and in with the homemade sauce.


This recipe is special, because it has a secret...SHHHHHH!!! 


Ok, I'll fess up, but it's up to you if you share this info with the others in the family.  It's packed full of carrots!!! Yes, carrots! If you are trying to get your kids (or yourself) to eat more vegetables each day, then give it a try! You might be surprised how fast they gobble it up.




Ingredients

  • 1 c Pureed Carrots
  • 4 Shallots (minced)
  • 8 Garlic Cloves (minced)
  • 1 tsp Basil
  • 1 tsp Oregano
  • 2 cans of {no salt added} 100% Natural Tomato Paste 
  • 2 cans of {no salt added} 100% Natural Tomato Sauce (15oz)
  • 1 c Low Sodium Chicken Stock or water
  • 2-3 tsp Olive Oil


1) Saute minced shallots and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until softened.
2) Add all other ingredients to pan and stir.
3) Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
4) Serve over whole wheat pasta. Top with grated Romano cheese.

NOTE: This will make a good amount of sauce.  I like to have extra on hand in the fridge for quick lunches.

In the past I have always depended on pre-shredded {chemical enriched} cheeses in my family's meals. I'm learning a lot about the different types of cheese on this journey.  The other day, I made my first "true" stop at the cheese counter at the grocery store.  Let's just say it was beyond overwhelming.! However, I didn't feel too defeated since the lady working the counter said she has a book to study the cheeses. She went on to say she learns a lot of her knowledge from shoppers. I will do my best to share my cheese "findings". Maybe you know all there is to know about cheese...and if you do, please share! One of my new faves is Pecorino Romano which is made from Sheep's milk and is a firm and salty cheese. 

KID APPROVED??? YES! (and even a "this is the best sauce in the whole world!")


No comments:

Post a Comment